Tuesday, June 12, 2012

Magaluf Nightlife Central

This is a guest post by Charlotte Kay.

Magaluf. Forget stereotypes - I was pleasantly surprised.

Magaluf is party-central and has a Club 18-30s vibe in parts, but letting your hair down is the modern person’s right. The resort is primarily beaches and partying, but I was surprised by the nearby attractions, with history and nature. 



Flying to Son Sant Joan Airport is easy in summer, with regular flights. In times of belt-tightening, it’s good to save as money, and in my experience, a fantastic way to do this by booking airport extras. Airport Parking is something I rarely go without.

You’ll be pleased to know, the transfer to resort is around an hour - sweating without air-con is not one of my favourite pastimes either.

It’s easy to get around, with a reliable bus service and taxis. In the past, I’ve made the mistake of not asking the rough price before getting into the car, don’t make the same mistake! I think a great way of really exploring is to hire a car. There’s plenty to see, with the Caves of Drach not far away

I’d recommend jumping on the bus to Palma for the day, with the stunning gothic-style cathedral its centrepiece. Shopping here is great. If there’s one thing I know about it, it’s shopping, so take my word for it!

Summertime is hot, and I always visit a water-park for a day’s splashing. Aqualand is a huge water-park, popular with families, as well as Marineland, with its dolphin and sea-lion shows. However, a holiday favourite of mine is the boat trip. A good tip is to haggle if there are a few of you, as you may find the vendor will knock a little off the price. An all-inclusive trip is great value, and I love nothing more than sailing around the coastline, soaking up the sun. I find it’s one of the best ways to really see the beauty of the area, with beautiful, secluded coves often missed otherwise.

The shopping scene in Magaluf is tourist-tacky, which I find is best avoided. There is a great market at nearby Andratx, where you’ll find souvenirs - the best place to grab a bargain.

In my experience, you’ll find that clubbers won’t venture into daylight until well after mid-day, so I’d recommend hitting the beach early and enjoying the peace, before it gets crowded. For a quieter beach, Cala Portals Vells is great, and it’s more scenic too. Whatever beach you choose, there’ll be plenty of water-sports, with parasailing one of my favourites. I loved it, and I couldn’t believe the breathtaking view below me. I’d certainly recommend giving it a go.

Night-time. In a word – busy. There’s something for everyone, from karaoke bars, pubs, restaurants to night-clubs open until dawn. Many bars are in competition with one another, so there’s plenty of offers – the buy one, get one free cocktail is always a favourite of mine!

Magaluf isn’t expensive. I often find that arranging your flight, transfer and accommodation separate works out a little cheaper, so I’d suggest investigating that option. A great way to start your holiday refreshed is by booking an airport hotel, with Bristol Airport hotels offering fantastic rates, with plenty of choice. I have stayed at a couple of the Gatwick Hotels and I’d recommend them for convenience and price. One of my personal favourites is The Days Hotel at Gatwick.                                                           

It’s sometimes difficult to leave stereotypes behind when looking at holiday destinations, but I was pleasantly surprised when looking further into Magaluf. Partying is a given, but there’s much more than meets the eye.

No comments:

Post a Comment